Journey into the Deep Sea
Much of the deep sea remains veiled in secrecy. We invite you to travel deep into the mysterious sea awash with thrills and excitement.
Deepen your knowledge at our aquarium laboratory
This is the aquarium's lecture corner. This is a place where those who want to know more about marine animal life gather together. One of our specialist staff explains in easy-to-understand terms about sea creatures, using a microscope and video. The theme changes from day to day, and we draw on a variety of fields for a wide-ranging discussion of the ocean life found here. If there is something that you have wondered about while viewing the tanks in the Aquarium, please feel free to ask our staff. (Explanation is only in Japanese.)
Video of the Aqua Lab
Download Flash Player
Programs of the Aqua Lab
Here, our experts talk about various aspects of the aquarium. You will be able to see fish specimens that are not on show in the aquarium itself, and examine samples through a microscope.
- Lectures by staff (approx. 15 minutes)
- Start times: 11:00 / 14:00
- Come and chat with the breeding staff!
- The talks given by the staff will be accompanied by various specimens and mounts of rare species. You will be able to see these specimens up close after the talk, so head over to the lecturer's table when the talk has finished. The staff will be very happy to answer any questions you might have at this time.
- Rare Deep-sea Fish - The Blacksail Snake Mackerel
- This mounted head comes from the deep-sea fish known as the blacksail snake mackerel. This large fish was caught at sea by Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium staff. The blacksail snake mackerel, which is notoriously hard to breed in captivity, can be seen at Deep Sea. In this area, you can hear details about the ecology of this rare fish.
*Please note that there are reading mistake.